Spiga

After Thanksgiving Water Fast -- Day 1

1:36 PM 11/28/2008

Today is day 1 of a prolonged water fast. I had started last Thursday and broke it on Monday in order to prep my digestive capacity for Thanksgiving.

In the morning, my mom called her workplace to check her schedule. It turns out that she won't have work from now until the New Year. And last night, she mentioned that we may have to consider getting food at our local Food Bank.

I'm worried but not as worried as when I first heard the news. Before, the worry level was at a 10 on a 0-10 scale with 10 being the highest. Now, it's a 6. I was thinking about how I really have to find a second job and wondering how I'm going to handle school and 2 jobs. I started thinking about food and about whether I should finish off my grapefruits.

Then I began an internal conversation. It was about how food won't help and about how worrying won't help. Worrying a little is fine, but worrying to the point that I go down a self-destructive path and feeling helpless won't. Right now, I'm still reminding myself about it.

Every time I think about comforting myself with food, I keep repeating to myself "not going to help. Not going to help."

As of 1:44 PM, 11/28/2008, my resolve to finish today's water fast is at a 9.