Whether this post will universally apply to everyone, I'm not sure. I can only speak of my personal experience. I've done two 14 day water fast so far -- one with and one without exercise.
First 14 Day Water Fast (with Exercise)
There were a few days, when I needed to sit down, because I felt weak. Definitely less than 5 times. There were also a few days, when I felt my energy sky rocket, and I cleaned the bathroom. Please be mindful that I dislike cleaning. I went out almost everyday, and I walked 4 miles almost everyday, too. After the fast, my cravings returned full force and beyond! Everything tasted so good. I definitely pigged out!
Second 14 Day Water Fast (sans Exercise)
After day 1, I could only take a few steps, and I would no longer be able to take more without taking a really long time to rest in between steps! I slept all day and couldn't even come on to the internet. I didn't even have the energy to bathe. During the whole time, I took 3 baths. Maybe 2. I don't remember. I also couldn't read -- my favorite hobby. Most of the time, I felt angry or hopeless. Yet, I felt so clean. My sleep was so deep and relaxing. After the fast, my TMJ syndrome pretty much went away about a week after the fast. I'm full off of a smoothie made with one fruit. And my sleep continues to be deep and relaxing whereas I would wake up at the slightest noise before this second fast and have trouble falling back asleep. I'm more hopeful and can focus on tasks much longer.
Which Was Better?
My views from both water fasts is that I felt the most benefits after the second water fast where I didn't exercise at all and had plenty of rest. Most likely, my body grasp the opportunity to deep clean my body which contributed to my feeling so weak, although I slept and rested so much. I practically did nothing. And after the fast, I never felt the level of focus, rest and peace I've achieved from it in my entire life! Now with the first fast with the exercise, my body most likely took whatever body stores I had and conserved that energy for the activities I was involved with during the 14 days. So pretty much, I probably achieved just losing weight on that fast but didn't really cleanse. By the way, I lost 15-20 pounds on both. Exercising didn't really matter in terms of weight loss.
Now to exercise or not while water fasting? Why not try out both? See what your results are. But since you know one person who benefited more from not exercising, maybe try out water fasting without the exercise first.
