Spiga

After A Short Water Fast – Day 1

When I left work last night, I had two ‘ah-ha’ moments. From the previous post, I suffered awful aches in my head, eyes and neck along with lethargy. The areas of pain are indicative of me having my period, and I didn’t know about the lethargy. I thought it may have been stress.

Earlier in the day, I went to the bathroom to check and see if I had my period. No blood. I thought “hm. Then why am I in so much pain?”

I stopped by the bathroom one last time before leaving work. And there you have it, there was blood. I was, indeed, on my period. That was the first ‘ah-ha.’ The next ‘ah-ha is when I went outside. It had been raining for hours!

The period explains the pain, and the rain explains the lethargy. My body was exhibiting tell-tale signs, and yet I was attributing everything to the fast. I’ve fasted before but never experienced the level of pain and lethargy in tandem that I experienced yesterday. Never.

On my way to the local Asian market, I felt a lot better being outside in the rain. When it rains, I experience extreme lethargy indoors. I have to be outside in the fresh air, and get as much air as I can. It’s an instant cure for the lethargy.

I wanted to break my fast with grapefruit, but I didn’t think I would get them. They’re usually $1 each or the lowest I have ever seen them was 4 for $1, and that was last year. While deciding between apples, oranges, cucumbers or carrots, I also passed by the grapefruits. Lo and behold, they were 5 for $1!

I’m happy to announce that I broke my fast with 2 diluted cups of grapefruit juice. It was wonderful. I was in heaven. I was already full after the first cup, and slowly sipped the second cup. This morning, I had another heavenly cup of delicious grapefruit juice!

I still feel some slight pain in my neck today. It may progress to my eyes and head. I hope not.

On the bright side, the lethargy is gone!