Every time I got a cold, I'd have my bottles of cold medicine. I'd go through bottles never feeling any better. Actually, they never even suppressed my symptoms. Eventually I got to a point that I thought "this is such a waste of money."
Gradually, I began forgetting to take my medication on time just because I didn't feel the difference between taking medication and not taking any. Well, except that my parents' wallet would be thinner, I didn't feel a different. And then finally, I just didn't take any at all. This was all before I found out how bad medicine most medicine is. When I was a child, cold medicine were being heavily advertised. So I did "believe" they would work, but the heck, they weren't working.
I began drinking coffee in high school. Not everyday. I drank coffee a few times, when I stayed up late to finish school work or study. I believed coffee would help me stay awake. I don't know. But every time I drank coffee, I was knocked out cold. When I woke up, I would feel jittery and nervous. I couldn't focus on much of anything. It had nothing to do with will-power or a lack of willing to learn, I was the National Honor Society President.
I drank coffee a few more times as an undergrad., most likely less than 20 times, and I started noticing that I would feel sleepy, but I couldn't sleep. I was still jittery, but I learned that I couldn't focus on the material I was studying at all. I read and read, but nothing was registering. I dropped coffee.
A co-worker suggested I take pills that would help me stay awake. I bought a bottle of No Doz. I would take a pill every morning, but I didn't notice that much of a difference except I felt very jittery. I thought that was from not having breakfast which is possible. I began feeling depressed, but I thought that was from my school and work load which is also possible. I stopped taking No Doz.
Throughout all these situations, I kept taking things believing that they would work or at least, help me in some way. And when they didn't, I still continued on them! I wanted to write this blog as a reminder that if something doesn't work that I stop a lot sooner. I'm thankfuI I never developed an addiction to any of them. I've seen, heard and read about how hard it is for some people to quit coffee.